Location: 110 Lighthouse Drive,
Marblehead, OH 43440
Contact: East Harbor State Park,
1169 North Buck Road,
Lakeside-Marblehead, OH 43440
Tours are offered by the East Harbor Naturalist and volunteers. There is a $2 fee for adults and children ages 6 and up. Children under age 6 are free.
Weekdays during the summer; Noon to 4pm. Last tour begins at 3:45pm. The Lighthouse museum is open while tours are happening,
COST: $2 for guests age 6 and over to climb the lighthouse. Lighthouse museum has no fee.
For more information: 419-734-4424 x 2 or email@example.com
- The Lake Erie Island area is home to six parks:
- Catawba Island provides picnic areas, a fishing pier and launch ramps.
- Kelleys Island offers camping swimming, fishing and hiking and features natural areas including the famous glacial grooves, historic limestone quarries, North Shore Alvar and North Pond state nature preserves. Island Yurts and Rent-A-Camp offer unique lakefront accommodations in the campground.
- South Bass Island offers camping along with weekly rental of the Rustic Cottage and Cabents, providing a convenient base for day trips to the many attractions at Put-in-Bay. Oak Point on South Bass Island offers boat docks & a picnic area with grills.
- Middle Bass Island offers camping and a marina with seasonal transient docking facilities for Lake Erie boaters, a primitive campground, and a picnic area
- North Bass Island has no public facilities available.
- On the mainland, East Harbor State Park, on Marblehead Peninsula, offers a large campground with Rent-A-RV, along with swimming, fishing, boating, and hiking.
- Magee Marsh Wildlife Area and the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge borders the park to the southwest.
- Several state nature preserves are located in the area:
- Old Woman Creek State Nature Preserve, east of Huron, offers a visitor center and boardwalk trail through wetland habitats
- West of Huron, Sheldon Marsh State Nature Preserve also encompasses a variety of wetland types
- Erie Sand Barrens, south of Sandusky
- Dupont Marsh on the Huron River, three miles south of Huron
- Lakeside Daisy State Nature Preserve, in Ottawa County, south of Marblehead on the Marblehead Peninsula
- The historic stone home of the first lighthouse keeper, Benejah Wolcott, has been preserved as the "Keeper's House" and is open to the public on 2nd Saturdays, June-September. Tours are also offered by appointment. Call the Ottawa County Visitors' Bureau at 419-734-4386 for information.
- The Ottawa County Historic Museum in Port Clinton features an exhibit on the Battle of Lake Erie.
- Ottawa County Visitors' Bureau website or call (419) 734-4386